Friday, July 8, 2011

June 17: Wooden Puzzles

I found these Creatology wooden puzzles at Michael's a long time ago and promptly forgot about them.  I rediscovered them when I cleaned out the front closet not long ago.  I figured we should make them soon before I forgot about them again.

Tysen's wooden puzzle was a dinosaur.  The package said ages 4+, but I thought he could probably do it OK.  He punched out all the pieces but did need quite a bit of help putting it together.  We actually ended up gluing some of the pieces on since it didn't stay together very well.  He loved making his purple dinosaur!

Punching out the pieces.

The finished dino!




Koen's wooden puzzle was a helicopter.  I wasn't sure if he would be excited about this since his passion is trains, but Michael's didn't have any trains, and it's always good to try new things. :)  He was SUPER excited about his project and couldn't wait to complete it!  The project was designed for ages 6+, but he still needed help, especially with the assembly instructions which weren't always that easy for me to figure out.  But we did it!  I had to put most of it together, although he punched out all the pieces and helped me find all the parts we needed. 
Overall, I was a little disappointed that they couldn't do more of the puzzles themselves, but they both loved the process, so maybe this is just a stepping stone for crafting more models.  I was surprised the next day when Koen asked to paint his helicopter.  He got out his watercolors and went to work, spending quite a bit of time painting each section of his helicopter.  It looked fantastic!




The finished colorful helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment