Thursday, January 5, 2012

November 8: Pumpkin Pie Failure and Success

I was in the mood for pumpkin pie, and Ty had been talking about making a pie, so this was a no-brainer.  As always, I'm trying to feed my family in a more healthy manner, so I decided to try the pumpkin pie recipe on the SweetLeaf website (this is stevia in powdered form). 

Unfortunately, the recipe on the website was not super clear on the measurement of the stevia.  It stated that we should use 1/4 cup of the SugarLeaf.  I thought this was odd, but if it was from the product's website why shouldn't I trust it?  I was wrong, though, and over-sweetened the pie which made it bitter so I had to toss the whole thing out!  I'm sure if we had made it the right way it would have been delicious! 

Ty was really disappointed and really wanted pie, so we made another pie!  For this, I just used the recipe on the Libby's canned pumpkin which I'd made before.  I did make the SweetLeaf crust again, though...yummy! (though it wasn't Koen's favorite)

Pumpkin Pie
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup SugarLeaf
  • 2 cups half & half
  • 3 Tbsp. pumpkin spice
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 9" pie shell (note: fresh-made or pre-made)
Pie Shell (optional)
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup raw unsalted pecans
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. SugarLeaf®

  1. (Crust) Process the pecans into meal with your blender, coffee grinder, or food processor.
  2. Melt butter in a pan over medium high heat.
  3. Once melted, add the remaining ingredients.
  4. Stir to combine.
  5. Remove from heat and press nut mixture into the bottom of the pie dish.
  6. (Pie) Combine all the pie ingredients and stir to combine.
  7. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake at 325oF for 30 minutes.
  8. Remove and cool completely.
  9. Place into the fridge and allow pie to set overnight.

http://www.sweetleaf.com/desserts/236-pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment