Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 2: "A" Verse

For some time, I've been feeling led to be more intentional about memorizing Bible verses and getting the kids involved.  I decided that each Sunday we were going to introduce a new Bible verse, using the alphabet as a guide.  While researching online, I found a few lists others have used, so starting with those and changing some to ones that are near and dear to my heart, I came up with our list. 

Why do this?

"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."  Deuteronomy 6:5-7

So today after lunch I introduced our "A" verse:  "A friend loves at all times..." Proverbs 17:17

I wondered how difficult it was going to be for the boys to remember a verse, but I shouldn't have worried.  Monday afternoon, Tysen looks up from his trains and says, "Hey Mom, 'A friend loves at all times...' and then he smiled and went back to his playing.  WOW!  He was the one reluctant to say it after lunch on Sunday, but he got it!  Why have I waited so long to introduce this?!?

I'm trying to get them to remember where the verse is found in the Bible, but that's proved to be a bit trickier.  Koen always says "17:17" after the verse, omitting "Proverbs" and Ty just forgets it completely.  We'll talk about it each week, but I can't promise they'll remember it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment