Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 22: Koinonia Granola

Before Seth and I were married over ten years ago, I had asked his mom for some family recipes.  After all this time, I figured it was time to make this one.  I'm not sure why it took me so long since I know Seth and I both enjoy it.  The boys aren't big granola cereal eaters, but I thought with their love of granola bars that I might get them to try it.  Ty was helpful in making it, but neither boy has tried it yet.  Oh well, more for us!  Not only is this great as cereal, but it'd be good with yogurt or even over ice cream!  Enjoy!

Koinonia Granola
Melt in a large pan:
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used light olive oil, but realized later I had coconut oil in the house and that would've been good, too)
  • 1/2 lb. margarine (I used butter)
  • 2 Tbs. molasses
  • 1 Tbs. vanilla
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
When mixed, cool slightly and add:
  • 2 lbs. rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I had chopped pecans in the house so that's what we used)
  • 2 cups grape nuts
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1 lb. coconut
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
Stir thoroughly.  Bake in shallow pans at 225 degrees for 60 minutes, stirring every 12-15 minutes.  After granola has cooled add 1 cup raisins or craisins. 

Yield:  5 quarts

No comments:

Post a Comment