Thursday, November 4, 2010

October 7: Paper Baskets

In trying to catch up from the last month, I won't have an entry for every day.  Due to illness and other circumstances, we didn't do a very good job of staying on schedule, but I will include what we were able to accomplish. 

On this particular day, I was beginning my bout of the flu, but Seth's parents were in town and Grandma Davies came to the rescue.  I had checked some craft idea books out of the library, and Koen had found one craft he wanted to make -- a paper basket.  (Of course, without thinking, I returned the book to the library so I don't even have the instructions or the name of the book to credit for the idea...oops).  The book was all about recycling materials when crafting.  I've been trying to check out some books about recycling, taking care of the earth, etc. when we go to the library so I can teach the boys more about these things.  They always help put our recycling out, but I'm not convinced they really know what that means. 

Koen and Grandma Davies set out to craft a paper basket.  This craft used newspaper (only one or two sheets, I believe) and after folding it in the directed fashion, you had an incredibly strong paper basket.  And it was strong!  The boys carried around multiple wooden Thomas trains in their baskets without the baskets breaking!  Koen took pride in decorating his basket by coloring it with markers, and Ty followed suit (even though Ty was outside playing, Grandma made a basket for him as well).  A month later, we still have both baskets in tact, though a few minor repairs have been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment