Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 27: Tangrams


Jack-in-the-box...
the only one we could really figure out.

A version of tangrams was on the back of a cereal box, so I saved it thinking it'd be a great game for Ty and I to do together.  I remember playing with the tangram shapes in school...creating shapes and pictures...I always enjoyed the challenge!  I looked up "tangrams" online, for those who are interested, and found out it's an ancient Chinese puzzle game.  There are plenty of online sources to play yourself if you so desire. 

Needless to say, it was a bit difficult to use the cereal box tangrams set.  The black shadow images were not true to size and used overlapping shapes...two things that made it tough for Ty...and me, too!  He finally started creating his own puzzle shapes (see his "whale tale" below).  I think it would have been much easier to have different color pieces and true-to-size puzzles to solve.  We'll hang on to the pieces though...maybe I'll go online and find some more kid-friendly puzzles for us to solve together. 


Tysen's "Whale Tale".

No comments:

Post a Comment